So I’ve finally stopped being lazy and started on a new craft project. I found this awesome tutorial on how to crochet Hobbes from the Calvin and Hobbes comics! You can find the pattern here. I’m being cheap and just using Red Heart yarn which isn’t the softest but you get a lot for cheap (especially from Walmart) and I figure this way I can make more than one if I wanted. I just started last night. So far it doesn’t see too hard, though I think the biggest hurdle for me is not getting bored while making it (that tends to happen a lot with me and big projects).
Over the weekend (when I got this yarn), I also made a new base for the cage of my rabbit. I used to use a rug I got from Walmart but she chewed a hole through it and I was worried she’d end up chewing the apartment carpeting. So no more rugs for her! Instead I got a piece of wood and some self adhesive flooring tiles from Home Depot. It was quite annoying that I had to pay for the whole wooden board (8 feet long) even though I only really needed half. I ended up just getting two pieces… just incase I ever need a piece of wood lol.
I think the tiles are a bit too slippery for her. Bunnies don’t have padded feet like cats and dogs so they need flooring with some friction. I threw a towel in there for her for now but I think I’ll have to buy a piece of carpet or something to line the cage.
I also cheated on my no shampoo thing this weekend. Sort of. I used diluted dish washing soap to get rid of some of the oil. Just some of it. I was going home for Lunar New Years and didn’t want my mom making comments about my hair haha. I cheated a bit yesterday too. I decided to try making a paste of coconut oil and baking soda. I’m not sure why I thought to put (more) oil in my hair but I thought the coconut oil might be moisturizing. And it was! I used a bar of soap to wash it out after working it into my hair and my hair was really soft after. Of course I realized I may have ruined my efforts in trying to transition my scalp to the whole no shampoo thing…
My sewing machine also came back yesterday from repair. I am still quite pissed that it came broken (even though it was new!) but I’m glad to have it back and working. The guy who repaired it did what Singer SHOULD have done: left a piece of cloth with test stitches sewn in to show that they actually tested the damn thing. Now I gotta email Singer to get reimbursed for the return shipping… They told me they would pay for it but the guy at the warranty place said that they only do the warranty repairs and that I have to pay for the shipping back. Seriously, I am very unhappy with their customer support. It took the longest time for me to get a reply from them in the first place.
Well anyways, I’ve decided this dress is going to be my first project. It looks simple enough and is mainly straight lines. I’m going to look for fabric this weekend. I figure I can wear a long sleeve shirt under it while the weather is still cold and then can wear it alone in the spring!
One last crafty thing before I go. Here’s an interesting paper heart fold I did. I found the tutorial on Pintrest here. I’m not sure if I followed the directions correctly (diagrams aren’t exactly super clear). But it came out pretty good: